I've finally made good progress on the build. This build is much more complicated than my 160 - space is extremely tight so it has required much more advanced planning. To remind you the space I am working with:
Note that I am mounting the FC upside down (already set in BetaFlight). So almost all the wires have to fit between the FC and PDB. (The wires for the LEDs are soldered to the "bottom" of the FC, so will end up between the FC and the top plate.) Here's where I am so far on the FC:
The left side of the first photo above will be facing the front of the aircraft. The lower single pin is for powering the FC, and will be drawn from a 5V switch pad on the PDB (see below). For photos and info on how I did the pins for ESC to FC connection, see: http://intofpv.com/t-custom-right-angle-header-pins
I am still not sure where the micro minimOSD will fit, so I am waiting until I complete the PDB wiring (almost there) and a test fit before doing any more soldering on the FC.
Next comes the motor/esc setup....
To make sure the esc's were out of the way of PDB, standoffs, camera mount etc, I had to place them very close to the motors. I decided to use the "wrap-around" method of soldering the motor wires to the esc. So the sequence was: remove the heat shrink, remove the esc motor leads, test fit, cut the wires to length, keep fingers crossed on uniform wire order on motors (preferring to take care of rotation direction with soldering instead of BLHeli settings), solder, test rotation, determine motor order and mark (hash marks=clockwise), heat shrink, test fit again, cut power leads to length, etc, etc...
I saved the esc labels from the old shrink wrap and put them back on the esc's - why? Uh...I think they're pretty...?
I also wrote myself a reminder because I had to stop and go to work and I'm an old guy..... (the "servo lead" note refers to moving the ground pin on the esc next to the signal pin to match what I did on the FC - see earlier link above)
You will notice in the photos above that preliminary soldering and tinning on the PDB was already done. Here are a couple more photos on preparing the PDB.
The left side of the first photo faces the front of the craft. The camera is very close so I soldered directly to the DemonCore (top three holes). In the next 5 holes, I soldered a round-pin socket strip - thats VTx and vid in/out for the OSD (second photo shows power and ground leads for OSD which I left long, because I'm still not sure of placement). Notice that I soldered a lead to the unused 5V pad next to the 12V switch for the VTx - this will power the FC.
Now comes the fun part - I need to get the motors and PDB mounted for soldering the esc's to the PDB. This requires a lot of steps, because I am using the 3D-printed (nylon) crash protectors on the frame. The screws for the motors, PDB, and all standoffs go through these protectors, and
the zip-ties holding the esc's fit "inside" the protectors. That means I have to strap the esc's to the arms before adding the protectors and bolting the motors. (Oh, and don't forget to tin leads and swap pins!) The photos below illustrate the sequence.
(Sorry about the lipo strap Oscar - I tried, but they were too long.
I will use them in another build - promise
By the way, the nuts holding the PDB down will be replaced by standoffs once I'm ready to mount the FC.
So now I'm ready for soldering the battery lead, and the esc's - but dang it! I've gotta go take care of my girlfriend's dog and then go to work.