About the name
When goog'ling the name "devilbug" you'll mostly come across pictures of fishing lures (is that the right word?) which look awesome, but nothing like a quad. I like this one though:
I got the idea for the name because of the shape of the quad's top-plate, which looks a bit like a bug with horns.
Main goal of the old build was to make a low-profile go-pro carrier out of a basic nighthawk frame. I made this quad when betaflight 2.1.6 was out, which, in multirotor time scale, is ages ago. This is what i came up with then:
I fear i won't quite reach the same weight with a new build:
With the light 1806 motors its power was limited, but it gave me some flights which i still like, even after this long time (disregard my flying skills, as i said, this was ages ago):
Though, all in all, it didn't get too many flights - only because it quickly got outdated by newer quads with stronger motors etc pp. But i always liked its flight characteristics, which i think were mostly given by its low weight and the somewhat special aerodynamics (low profile, kind of front 'spoiler' and the wide top-plate). Hopefully with my new build i can recreate the "feeling" this quad got me, but regarding motors, and 4mm arms vs 3mm arms, it will pretty surely end up a bit heavier. We're doing this for science, right?
New parts list
- frame: nighthawk clone, 6" version 4mm arms
- motors: rcx 2206/2400kV
- esc: Aikon 30a 2-4s
- props: hq5045bn
- fc: Revo F4
- rx: Lemon Diversity sat w/ long antennas
- vtx: hawkeye 32ch with pigtail, aomway antenna
- pdb: flyduino
- filter: small one from rtfquads, reinforced with a cap
First wanted to use the micro PDB on the left, but as i don't need 12V i can finally make use of this old, big one:
Flanged aluminum lock nuts vs. what came with the rcx motors:
Not yet sure about the camera, either i'll use a spare one with typical 28x28mm footprint, or i'll get a newer, smaller one, like the mini version of the runcam owl, for example. Also i was thinking about having the top-plate made of carbon by a friend, but this might take a while. Maybe i'll make another wood piece first.
I didn't get far yet, as i only just got the escs & motors a few days ago, and i'm not in a hurry.
Motors and escs soldered to an old pdb i use for testing. Man they run smooth and slow on 2s.
Blheli_s 16.4 flashed (thanks Oscar), adjusted min/mid/max throttle and disabled heat protection.
It's the first time i'm using blheli gear. Are there any other important settings i need to change from defaults?
First time trying some cord to secure wires and gear, instead of the usual zipties.
Litterally stitched together: since i secured everything else with cord, i thought why not try it for the FC.
It is not really soft though, that urethane-type foam is pretty stiff. But at least it's light.
This is not final, i'll change the wiring after the filter so the camera gets 12V. Just have no cam yet.
Like on the old build, a simple vtx-antenna holder made with instamorph:
Starting a simple top plate to figure out where the rest belongs, like cut-outs for battery straps etc.
I might make a carbon plate some time thanks to sloscotty's guide, but for now i'm working with this:
Cut off the FC pins and direct soldered everything. Some of the wires glued to the FC. Now it is low enough:
FPV camera mount is a bit of a hack job made from 2mm aluminum plate, thick double-sided foam tape in between:
Finished & works
Did a short test LOS with half-empty battery, debug_mode=notch & disabled gyro notch filters.
Yeah... no. But yeah... still not bad since it could even run 6" props if needed.